De Forrest Judd

Listing 1 Works   |   Viewing 1 - 1

formatting
De Forrest  Judd Church at Terlingua
Church at Terlingua, 1986
oil on canvas
36 x 48 in
Call For Price

3, 6, 12, 24, 48, 120, Works per page

formatting

De Forrest  Judd

De Forrest Judd

De Forrest Judd Description

DE FORREST JUDD (1916 - 1992)

De Forrest was born on April 4, 1916, in Hartsgrove, Ohio, Judd graduated from the Cleveland Institute of Art in 1939. He earned a three-year scholarship at the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center and, while there, studied under Boardman Robinson and Otis Dozier. Judd subsequently moved to Dallas, where he began teaching at Southern Methodist University’s Meadows School of the Arts, where he would remain until 1981. In addition to his teaching responsibilities at Southern Methodist University, Judd served as an instructor in painting and drawing at the Dallas Museum of Fine Arts from 1958 to 1964.

While teaching Judd won numerous plaudits from his peers and colleagues, as well as from the critical community. He was one of just twelve artists selected to exhibit work at the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s 1950 exhibition, American Painting Today. He was the recipient of numerous other awards and prizes, including: E. M. Dealey purchase prize (Dallas Museum of Fine Arts) in 1949, 1950, and 1952; Kiest Memorial prize in 1956; and the Schlumburger prize (Texas Fine Arts Association) in 1959.

Judd continued painting after his retirement from teaching in 1981, until his death in 1992. His works can now be found in many public and private collections including: Cleveland Museum of Art; Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center; Dallas Museum of Art; Otto Spaeth Foundation, New York, New York; Texas Instruments, Dallas, Texas; and Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas.

Top of Page