Born in 1932, a Virginia native and current resident of Texas, Hunter George studied art, design and photography at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond Virginia where he earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree.
As a graphic artist from 1960-2000, he was honored with numerous design awards from Art Directors' Clubs of New York, Los Angeles, Denver, Tulsa and Houston; Communication Arts Magazine; Print Magazine; Ad Week Magazine; The Printing Industries of America; and the Dallas Fort Worth Society of Communication Arts. He is a past President of The Art Directors' Club of Houston and has served on the Texas State Board of the American Institute of Graphic Artists.
Hunter has always hungered to capture the natural, as well as, the historical in watercolor. He would like to help preserve a cultural history that is quickly fading from our midst. His love of old buildings and landscapes dominate his portfolio, called "Reflections of the Past."
Since becoming a full-time watercolorist in 2000, Hunter’s prize winning paintings have been featured in art galleries throughout the state of Texas where he serves as a current member of CASETA-Center for the Advancement and Study of Early Texas Art. A longtime member of the Watercolor Art Society of Houston, Hunter has had paintings accepted in the Houston International Watercolor Shows in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, and 2012 which grants him Signature status in this society. His award winning works have been represented throughout the state of Texas by galleries in Houston, Galveston, Rockport, San Antonio, Belleville, Salado and Wimberley. His works are also showcased in Texas Highways Magazine and The Lady Bird Johnson Wild Flower Center in Austin.
Selected Biographical and Career Highlights
• 1932, born in Lynchburg, Virginia
• 1952, Korean War Veteran, United States Air Force
• 1959, BFA, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia
• 1960-1975, Graphic Designer/Art Director, Houston, Tx
• 1975-85, Partner, Advertising Agency, Houston, Tx
• 1985-2000, President, Hunter George Graphic Design, Houston, Tx
• 1986, board member, American Institute of Graphic Artists
• 2000-present, watercolors by Hunter, Houston, Texas
• Member, Rockport Society for the Arts
• Member, Arts for Rural Texas
• Watercolor Art Society, Houston
o 2005, 28th Annual International Show
o 2008, Awarded Honorable Mention in 31st Annual International Show
o 2009, 32nd Annual International Show
o 2010, Awarded Signature Status, 34th Annual International Show
• Blair House Gallery, Wimberly, Texas
• Hunt Gallery, San Antonio, Texas
• Simply Art Gallery, Galveston, Texas
• Creekside Gallery, Belton, Texas
• Holland House Gallery, Bellville, Texas
• Griffith Gallery, Salado, Texas
• The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, Austin, Texas
• Texas Highways Magazine, Austin, Texas
Selected Public Collections
• Texas Oil Museum, Luling, Texas
• Cultural Activities Center, Temple, Texas